Asthma is an ancient Greek word meaning ‘panting or shortdrawn breath’.It is an allergic condition resulting from the reaction of the body to one or more allergens and is the most troublesome of respiratory diseases. An asthma patient gets frequent attacks of breathlessness,in between which he may even be completely normal.
CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS—
Patients suffering from asthma appear to be gasping for breath. Actually they have more difficulty in breathing out than breathing in,and this is caused by spasms or sudden involuntary muscular contractions of the smaller air passage in the lungs. The effect is to blow the lungs up because the patient cannot drive the air propetly out of the lungs before he has to take another breath. Most asthmatics have more difficulty at night or early morning.
Asthma is caused by a variety of factors. It may be due to an allergy caused by weather conditions,food,drugs,perfumes and other irritants. Allergies to dust are the most common cause. Foods which generally cause allergic reactions are wheat,eggs,milk,chocolates,bean,fish and sea foods. The disease may also result from psychological facors.
1. HONEY——Honey is one of the most common home remedy. One or two spoonfuls of honey provide relief. Honey can also be taken in a cup of milk or water. Honey thins out accumulated mucus and helps its elimination from the respiratory passage.
2. Figs—- Figs give comfort to the patient by draining off the phelgm. 3-4 dry figs should be cleaned thoroughly with warm water and soaked overnight. They should be taken first thing in the morning along with the water in which they soaked.
3. Lemons—–Lemons are the rich source of vitamin C.It increases our immunity level. The juice of one lemon diluted in a glass of water and taken with meals will bring good results.
4. Indian Gooseberry— Five gra ms of gooseberry mixed with one tablespoon of honey forms an effective medicinal tonic for the treatment of this disease. It should be taken every morning.
5. Bitter Gourd Roots-
The roots of the bitter gourd have been used in folk medicine for asthma patients since ancient times. A teaspoon of the root paste mixed with an equal amount of honey or juice of the tulsi leaves acts as an excellent medicine.
6. Drumstick Leaves- A soup prepared from drumstick leaves,and taken once daily,has been found beneficial in the treatment of asthma. Soup can be prepared by adding a handful of leaves to 180ml of water and boiling it for five minutes. Little salt,pepper and lime juice can be added.
7. Ginger– A teaspoon of fresh ginger juice mixed with a cup of fenugreek decoction and honey to taste acts as an excellent expectorant in case of asthma. Anyone can take one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in a cupful of water twice a day.
8. Garlic– Garlic is effective for asthma. Ten garlic cloves boiled in 30 ml of milk make an excellent medicine for the early stage of asthma. This mixture should be taken once daily.
9. Safflower– Safflower seeds are beneficial in the treatment of bronchial asthma. Half a teaspoon of powder of the dry seeds mixed with a tablespoon of honey can be taken once or twice a day. This acts as an expectorant.
10. Linseed– A decoction of linseed is also considered useful in curing asthma. The decoction is prepared by boiling a teaspoon of linseed powder and a piece of palm candy in two cups of water till the mixture is reduced to half. It can be taken with a tablespoon of milk once daily.
11. Copper– One of the preventive measure is to drink water which has been kept overnight in a copper vessel. This water is believed to change one’s constitutional tendency to get respiratory problem.
12. Mustard oil- During the attack mustard oil mixed with a little camphor should be massaged over the back of the chest. This will loosen up phelgm and ease breathing.
The patient should avoid common dietetic errors. Patient’s diet should contain a limited quantity of carbohydrates,fats and proteins which are acid forming foods and a liberal quantity of alkali forming foods consisting of fresh fruits,green vegetables,sprouted seeds and grains. The patient should avoid foods which tend to produce phelgum such as rice,sugar,lentils and curds. He should also avoid fried and other difficult to digest foods,strong tea, coffee,alcholic beverages,condiments,pickles,sauces and all refined and processed foods.
1. The patient should follow the other laws of nature. As sun and water are great healing agents.
2. Regular fasting once a week.
3. An occasional enema.
4. Breathing exercises.
5. Fresh air.
6 A dry climate.
7. Light exercises.
8. Correct posture