Hello friends, i am back with a new topic which has its importance not in religion but also in medicine.Yes, i am going to tell you about that herb which i think everyone knows but are unaware of its benefits. Tulsi, which is a well known name in every hindu household. No rituals can be completed without tulsi.Tulsi/Basil is a sacred plant in Hindu belief. It is equally worshipped as any other God or Goddess is worshipped. Its scientific name is Ocimum tenuiflorum.
There are different varieties but shyam tulsi is considered the best variety.All tulsi plants are equally beneficial.Generally green coloured tulsi plant is availabel in all places. Tulsi leaves have a strong smell and length is about 1-2 inches.It can be used as a herbal medicine in numerous ailments.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF TULSI-
1. COUGH AND COLD- Tulsi leaves can cure cough and cold very effectively so by taking ginger juice,tulsi juice and honey in equal quantity we can get rid of cough and cold without taking medicine.
2. RESPIRATORY DISORDER- The herb is useful in the treatment of respiratory system disorders.A decoction of the leaves with honey and ginger is an effective remedy for bronchitis,asthma,influenza,cough and cold.
3.KIDNEY STONES-Basil has strengthening effect on the kidney.In case of renal stones ;the juice of basil leaves and honey ;if taken regularly for six months ;will expel them via the urinary tract.
4.HEART DISORDERS-Basil has the beneficial effect in cardiac disease and the weakness resulting from them .It reduces the level of blood cholestrol.
5.CHILDREN’S AILMENTS-Common paediatric problems like cough;cold;fever;diarrohea and vomiting respond favourably to the juice of basil leaves .If pustules of chicken pox delay their appearance ;basil leaves taken with saffron will hasten them.
6.STRESS-Basil leaves are regarded as an adaptogen or anti-stress agent .Recent studies have shown that the leaves afford significant protection against stress.Even healthy person can chew 12 leaves of basil,twice a day,to prevent stress.It purifies blood and helps prevent several ailments.
7. MOUTH INFECTIONS- The leaves are quite effective for the ulcers and infections in the mouth.A few leaves chewed will cure these conditions.
8. INSECT BITES- The herb is a prophylactic or preventive and curative for insect stings and bites.A teaspoon of the juice of the leaves is taken and repeated after a few hours.Fresh juice can also be applied to the affected parts.
9. SKIN DISORDER- Applied locally,basil juice is beneficial in the treatment of ringworm and other skin diseases.It has also been tried successfully by some naturopaths in the treatment of leucoderma.
10. EYE DISORDER- Basil juice is an effective remedy for sore eyes and nightblindness,which is generally caused by deficiency of vitamin A. Two drops of black basil juice should be put into the eyes daily at bedtime.
11. TEETH DISORDER- The herb is useful in teeth disorders.Its leaves,dried in the sun and powdered,can be used for brushing teeth. It can also be mixed with mustered oil to make a paste and used as tooth paste.This is very good for maintaining dental health.It is also useful in pyorrhoea and other teeth disorders.
12. HEADACHES- Basil makes a good medicine for headache.A decoction of the leaves can be given for this disorder. Pounded leaves mixed with sandalwood paste can also be applied on the forehead for getting relief frpm heat,headache and for providing coolness in general.
So from above points it is clear that basil has medicinal properties. Everyone should take basil leaves daily so they can cure many diseases.As it is well said PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.